Joseph A. Osefchen, a named shareholder with DeNittis Osefchen Prince, has successfully participated in over 100 certified class actions, obtaining relief for thousands of persons through either verdict or settlement in both State and Federal courts around the country over the last 18 years. Some of his notable cases include: J Thomas v. SmithKline Beecham Corp., 297 F.Supp.2d 773 (E.D.Pa.,2003), an employee benefits class action that resulted in $5 million being recovered for pharmaceutical workers, and Schmoll v. J.S. Hovnanian & Sons, LLC, 394 N.J.Super. 415 (App.Div. 2007), a consumer class action that resulted in an extensive program to remedy construction defects in Mt. Laurel, New Jersey. From 1993 until 2010, Mr. Osefchen was a lawyer for the Law Firm of Philip Stephen Fuoco, a well known class action firm located in Haddonfield, New Jersey. He recently has been instrumental in spearheading the firms success litigating Real Estate Vendor Overcharging and RESPA violations class action cases. Mr. Osefchen has co-authored numerous publications relating to class actions including:
- Co-Author: New Jersey Parts Company with the Federal Courts on Whether to Consider Merits Issues on Class Certification, 43 Rutgers L.J. 59 (2011);
- Co-Author, Leveling the Playing Field in the Garden State: A Guide to New Jersey Class Action Case Law, 37 Rutgers L.J. 399 (2006), cited with approval in Iliadis v. Walmart Stores, Inc., 191 N.J. 88 , 105 (2007);
- Co-Author: Interlocutory Class Action Appeals, New Jersey Law Journal, Vol. CLX, No. 3, Index 173, April 17, 2000.
Mr. Osefchen received his Juris Doctor degree from Rutgers University School of Law, with High Honors, in 1992. He was a member of the Rutgers Law Journal, the law review of Rutgers University School of Law (Camden), a Ritcher Scholar and a recipient of the Donald F. D’Agui Memorial Award for Demonstrated Excellence in the Law of Torts. In 1992 and 1993, he served as judicial law clerk to the Honorable James D. Clyne, P.J.Cv., Ocean County Superior Court and to the Honorable Peter J. Giovine, P.J.Cr., Ocean County Superior Court.
100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Jersey, 1992
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1997
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law – Camden, Camden, New Jersey, 1992 J.D. Honors: With High Honors
- Ferrum College, Ferrum, Virginia, 1989 B.A. Honors: Magna Cum Laude Major: English Major: International Studies